Weddings and Funerals are almost like 'Mini-Reunions' (at least for me), because for quite a few years now, I very rarely go to places, where I am forced to Mix and Mingle.
Most people my age, who were destined to 'Get Married', are already past that stage. So, the only Weddings I get invited to now, are those of my Ex-Students (which I also don't go for, too often). But these 'Invites' from students, who I have taught many, many years ago, also always remind me, that now, I officially belong to the 'Older Generation', because people who're 20 years younger than me and more, have started 'Finding their Soulmates'.π
It's amazing how this 'Circle of Life', just keeps going on and on and on. When one generation has gone through the entire cycle, the next generation takes over, and does the exact same things; of course, in their own different and unique ways. And while this happens, those of us who are from the 'Previous Generation', just look on and wonder.
We observe the changes, ponder on the way the world has evolved (since the time when people our age, did those exact same things); and every single day, we keep trying to make sense of 'Our Own Reality', in our 'possibly outdated and old-fashioned' ways.π€
There was a time when I used to go for a lot of 'Weddings', because that was a phase, when everyone in my generation seemed to be 'Getting Married'.
A clear indication that there has been a 'Generational Shift' in my life, is that now, I find myself going for more 'Funerals' than Weddings.
A few of these, are when Friends, who are around my age or a little older, are sadly called from this 'Earthly Life', much earlier than expected, and rather suddenly. But mostly, the Funerals I go for now, are those of the 'Parents of Friends'.
Just like Weddings, I generally avoid most 'Funerals' too (unless, the person or their family, has been especially close to me). I stay away mostly because, when I go to places where there are lots and lots of familiar people (who know me and who knew my parents), I just can't avoid those same 'Repetitive Questions' (which I've been trying my best to stay away from, for the last 6 years).
I really don't understand, why people (especially, from my parent's generation) just can't stop themselves, from asking very personal and rather intrusive questions, every time they meet me. I know, that they only do that out of 'Concern', and because they don't see me around very often. To them, I really seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth, since I only make very occasional appearances (by design).
But it's mostly because, their 'Concerned Queries', really bother me a lot, every single time; since they 'Keep Reminding Me', over and over again, of things that I find hard to forget anyway.π’ I know I should be 'Grateful', that there are so many people, who genuinely 'Care', and 'I Truly Am Thankful' for that...But when they meet me, why can't they just talk about the 'rainy weather' instead?π€·π»♀️
The only 'Answers', that these Uncles and Aunties receive as a response though, are 'Yes', 'No' and a 'Smile', because 'I'm quite an expert at speaking in 'Monosyllables and Smiles', in face to face conversations.π
I had one of these experiences (again), at a Funeral I went for yesterday. But just when these interactions, kind of overwhelmed me, I thankfully bumped into a couple of really old friends, quite unexpectedly; and when I did, I felt a little relieved...Because somehow, Conversations with Friends, (even those who now live on two different continents far, far away, and who I was meeting after a gap of many years) are so different.
There were 'No Intrusive Questions' asked and 'No Unnecessary Suggestions' offered. Just a lot of catching up and loads of reminiscing, about the days when we were younger, and all the fun things we did together, as children and youth, which are topics that are so much more Refreshing and Wonderful, to talk about.π
I keep repeating this statement, every time moments like these trouble me...
'I Love the Memories; but I don't like the Reminders'.π’
'My Memories' are very, very Special to me. I carry them with me, in my mind and heart, everywhere I go, almost 24/7. I even write about them, all the time...But somehow, I don't like people 'constantly reminding me', of what my life is like now, because of those Memories. That is why, I prefer to hide away, most of the time (especially from familiar people, who've known my family and me, for a long, long time, because they're generally the ones with the 'Twenty Questions').π
At any given point of time, there are always three or maybe four 'Generations', co-existing on this planet, each with probably a span of 20 years between them. If we stop and think about it, I find it quite interesting to note, how each of these three or four generations, thinks, speaks, lives, grows and evolves, so distinctly and differently from the other.
And yet, somehow we have to find ways and means to 'Bridge this Generational Gap or Divide' and try to co-exist relatively peacefully, despite our differences, as long as we have to continue our 'Journey through this Life'.π✍️
No comments:
Post a Comment