The children we teach in school, change a lot (especially in the way they look), from the time they are teenagers, to when they are grown young men. That's why, very often, it is difficult for us teachers to recognise them, when we suddenly meet them, after a gap of more than a decade or two.
Just yesterday, I bumped into a student who passed out of DB, way back in 2012. So, that's twelve years ago. I look exactly the same, except for the grey hair. So, he recognised me instantly; and his first question was, 'Miss, do you remember me?'🤔
Now, while the children we teach grow up, as the years go by; we teachers, kind of stay exactly the same. So, it's much easier for them to identify us, than it is for us, to place them. I didn't recognise him for a little while, because he is now 'all grown up', and looks very different; but of course, once he told me his name and which Batch he was in, it was easier for me, to remember who he was.
The most unbelievable thing, is that even though we initially struggle to place the 'now grown up' boy; once we identify the child, we can immediately remember lots of other little things about them too, including which 'House' they were in as well.
Since we've taught innumerable students over the years, it's sometimes difficult for us, to remember instantly. But, as soon as that connection is made in our memory, we can almost see the image of that child, in his school uniform, complete with the colour of his 'House Tie', flashing in our mind's eye.😄
What made me feel really 'Special' during this brief encounter though, was the way in which he introduced me to his elder sister, with so much joy and pride saying, "This was my English Teacher in school."💕
What he said next, absolutely made my day. He said, "Miss, I took your advice, and didn't follow the path that everyone takes, in college. I chose a different subject, that I enjoyed; and today, I have a great job abroad, because of that."😊
An unexpected chance encounter, with an ex-student that I haven't seen, ever since he passed out of Class 10, twelve long years ago; lifted the spirits of his old teacher, with just that one sentence. To know that children, 'valued my words of advice', enough to make important 'career choices and decisions', based on something I once said, in the classroom; just made me feel on 'Top of the world'. I walked out from there, feeling 'So Grateful'.✨️
Every once in a while, a child that I had taught years ago, walks back into my life, just like that; probably to remind me once again, that I 'Made a Difference' to his life, in some small way. Nothing could make a Teacher feel better, than unexpected experiences like these. A tiny moment like this one, brings that 'Smile' right back, at least for a little while.❤️
(The song I've shared with this post, 'In this Moment', is one of my favourite songs about Teachers'; because it is so meaningful. The 'Moments', that we teachers spend with the kids in school, may not last forever. But the 'Impact' we make on their lives, most definitely does 'STAY' with them, as long as they live.🎶
It's so awesome, when one day, completely 'out of the blue'; they come back, and tell you that.
Also, now that I think about it, this reminder came to me on 'Mother's Day'. Probably just a coincidence, but a happy coincidence; since I consider my Mother, to be the 'Best Teacher' I ever had.🌟
There's no one in the world, that I miss more than her, every single minute of every day. I guess, Mom's somehow always know, exactly the right 'MOM'ent, when we need a 'Pick-Me-Up'.)🤗
No comments:
Post a Comment