My Mother died in September 2018, after suffering from two Cancers. It will be 7 years, in a couple of months. That was just a little over a year, before the pandemic struck the world...And I often say, that over a span of about eight and a half years, when she was sick, I practically became half a Doctor and a Nutritionist.
Of course, technically that's not really possible. But, I only say that, because when you are a 'Caregiver' to a Cancer Patient, for a prolonged period of time; you end up interacting with lots and lots of doctors, spending many days and weeks in Hospitals, and going through countless sleepless nights, dealing with the side effects of many surgeries, and endless rounds of chemotherapy.
And simultaneously, if you are like me, you also end up doing lots of extensive research, about the medicines being administered during the treatment, trying to discover information about nutrition and ways to boost immunity, during and post Chemotherapy, and learning about alternate foods and home remedies, that could be used, to supplement the medicines, in the healing process.
Together with all of that, I was also going practically insane, trying to balance my work, (which was equally hectic and demanding as ever) and trying to look after my sick Mother as well. It's an experience, that any person who has gone through times like these, can never forget.
...and I was only 38, when she finally passed away.💔 Being orphaned and left alone in this crazy world, at that young age, is something that I can write and talk about; but no one can really understand, what life after losing your entire Family, truly feels like. You live, only because you're still breathing everyday, but you stop being 'Really Alive', because Life, simply has no meaning anymore.😪
During her second Cancer, when my Mum was about to go through a long and complicated 'Whipple procedure', I remember asking her Onco-Surgeon, "Doctor, do you know what causes Cancer?"
I wanted an answer to this question, because I didn't understand why, she had got this second, even more menacing Pancreatic Cancer, after recovering from Breast Cancer, a few years ago.
Her Doctor was a very reputed and experienced Cancer Surgeon in Mumbai, who specialised in Pancreatic Cancer. His answer though was, "I have worked in this field for 22 years and I've done numerous surgeries, on many, many patients; but I still don't know, what causes Cancer." 🤔
That's actually the reality of this disease. Despite so much advancement in science and technology; and even though, human beings have travelled to the moon and back, there is still no concrete proof, about what really causes this disease, which affects so many families, across the world.
In my own extended Family, we have had at least 7 people (including my Mum), suffering from different Cancers, over the years. It truly is an illness, that leaves you feeling so completely helpless; because the medicines, though necessary, actually end up weakening the body, more than healing it. In some cases, it works; but in my own Family, four out of the seven people affected by the sickness, never recovered.😔
The experience of looking after a Cancer Patient as a 'Caregiver' though, teaches you many 'Life Lessons'. The pain and the feeling of loss, doesn't ever go away, especially when the person is your own Mother, who was also your 'Best Friend'.✨️💖 Nothing and no one, could ever replace her; and the intensity of the emptiness you truly feel, every single day, cannot really be put into words.😪
But I know, that because I watched her slowly die, little by little every day; I have become more conscious about a lot of things, when it comes to health.
I avoid medication as much as possible, I make healthier choices, when it comes to the food I eat, so that my gut health and overall well-being is maintained. I try my best to sleep sufficiently; and most of all, I try to reduce stress, by moving away from situations, whenever I find things or people, beginning to affect my emotional and mental health.
I guess, making small but conscious 'Lifestyle Changes' everyday, is the only way, in which we can try, or at least attempt, to prevent sicknesses of any kind. There is no guarantee, that it will work; but when you've watched a loved one slowly slip away, right in front of your eyes, despite doing everything that was medically possible; you can't help but try.🤷🏻♀️
One of the people, who influenced me greatly during my mother's illness, was Luke Coutinho. I followed his videos online, for almost 2 years; and finally consulted with his team of Doctors and Nutritionists, for a few months, towards the end of her life.
I learned so much from them, about food, nutrition, and about overall health and well-being. Many of those tips, have become a part of my lifestyle now; because I found them to be very useful. What I like most about Luke's videos, is how he supports everything he says, with research, studies and commonalities among patients with similar illnesses, that their many years of experience, working with numerous patients, have taught him and his team.👍
Doctors and other Health Care Professionals, may not always be able to save and cure every patient; but if, with every patient that they work on, they educate an entire family, about health, nutrition, mental health, and of the need to make conscious choices and lifestyle changes; their efforts are not really a complete waste.😊
I'm sharing just one of Luke's old videos, about 'Cancer Prevention'. If it helps even a few people, to become a little more aware and conscious, it may go a long way, in attempting to prevent this disease, which has disrupted the lives of so many families, across the world.
Luke Coutinho's You Tube page, has countless videos like these, on various topics, for anyone who may be interested.
I find myself going back to watch some of these occasionally, even now; and I know, that I will always be 'Grateful' for them, and everything that I learn, through these videos.🙏
No comments:
Post a Comment