Wednesday, July 16, 2025

AN EVENING OF BRAZILIAN JAZZ 🎢

 

(An old FB Memory from 3 years ago, written on this day, 16th July' 2022.)


Thankfully, the rain took a little break today and was not pouring down non-stop, as it has been over the past week or so. That gave me a chance to go back to my favourite place in the city once again, the NCPA. This time, to listen to some 'Brazilian Jazz' by the 'Adil Manuel Collective'. Very different music, that I haven't really heard a lot of; but that I enjoyed thoroughly.πŸ™‚


What a talented set of musicians! Most of them, I was listening to for the first time and I was quite amazed by how good they all are.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Adil Manuel and Siddharth Shankar on Guitars were both awesome.🎸

Pranay Praveen on Drums and Anand Bhagat on Percussion were really good too.πŸ₯

Yohaan Pissurlenker playing both the Bass Guitar and the Upright Bass is gifted as well.🎸

All through the evening, I kept thinking, they're sounding so good even without a pianist, which says a lot, about how great they all sounded together.πŸ™‚

Of course, the vocalists were amazing. That cannot but be the case, when you have Samantha Noella on stage. Her years and years of experience as a vocalist and performer have made her an absolute 'Jazz Rockstar'. She is an Inspiration to many. Listening to her, is always a lesson in how to sing. Have been an admirer, for maybe 25 years or more.🎀🎼

Shubhangi Chakravarty and Palomi Ghosh, also have such beautiful voices. Singing in different languages, is definitely not an easy task; and all the vocalists did such a great job at that. There was even some Konkani in the set, because of the Portuguese connection, which was a very pleasant surprise. I wonder how long they all took, to get those pronunciations in different unfamiliar languages, right. Really amazing! Enjoyed all the lovely harmonies too.πŸŽΆπŸ™‚


I decided to go for this show only a few days ago; because the heavy rains had left me debating whether I should venture out and go all the way to the NCPA, Experimental Theatre or not. I'm so glad I went for this show though. Would have missed out on something special, if the rains had played spoiltsport.


Not only did the evening introduce me to some lovely different Music, that I am not very familiar with; but after the show, I also got a chance to take a leisurely walk along the sea-face from Nariman Point on Marine Drive and enjoy the salty sea-breeze on my way back to Churchgate station, which is something I always love to do, every time I go to the NCPA. It wasn't a very rainy night; but the city is always out in large numbers there, even during the monsoons.


45 to 50 minutes to pass, on my train-ride back home. So, I just used the time, to put down another one of my train-ride stories, that I know, some of my musically inclined friends will enjoy. ✍️





No comments: