Tuesday, November 26, 2024

JAZZY STORIES FROM A LEGEND 🎷🎺🎢

 

(Another two year old post, from 26th November '2022.)


I'm going to remember this evening for a long, long time; and so will every person who was at the NCPA today, for Day 2 of the 'International Jazz Festival'.😊

Monty Alexander - WHAT A LEGEND! Truly remarkable!❤️❤️❤️ 


No one wanted to leave the auditorium tonight. After three hours of music, I think I could have kept on listening to him, and the four exceptionally outstanding members of his band, all night long. It was that good. A standing ovation from the crowd and an encore later, people still wanted more.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘


The choice of songs today, were a lot more familiar...and the awesome Jazz Pianist Monty Alexander, had lots and lots of 'Stories' to tell, because from Jamaica to America, he has had varied musical influences, and has met and played with, so many of the great Jazz singers and musicians, that we all know and love. He called himself 'a Historical Relic who is just 27'.πŸ˜‚ What a cheerful and happy musician he is! I love someone who has lots of Stories to tell, because I think Stories help make 'Special Connections'...His Stories made me Smile; and he is actually 78.😊 


In fact, all the four musicians who played with him (playing the drums, double bass, guitar and trombone), Smiled right through the concert as they played, which showed that they were enjoying every moment. Those smiles were contagious, because they had the whole Auditorium smiling too.😊😊😊 

Just 5 musicians; but they sounded like an entire orchestra, one unit. Unlike the Big Band music we heard yesterday, this band of musicians had such a mellow, soft and melodiously beautiful sound to their music. All of them were fantastic. I have to mention the Drummer though; because he was such a controlled musician. Gentle brush strokes and maintaining a soft gentle rhythm right through, without letting anyone know he was even there...and yet, he was. Very Impressive!✨️πŸ‘


When this festival was first announced, I had decided that I would pick just one of the three days; because travelling all the way to the NCPA, on two or three consecutive days, is like going from one end of the world to the other. It used to be fun when we were in college; but after almost two decades of working very close to home, going to Churchgate and Nariman Point, suddenly feels like a trip to another planet.πŸ˜‚ 

...But, we are always taught to listen to our Teachers, because they know what's Best✨️...and when your teacher is an Expert, you must pay attention. I'm really so glad I was an obedient student. 'Thanks so much for the recommendation', which is why I went today.πŸ€—❤️ 


Thank You again to the NCPA and the organisers of this amazing Jazz Festival, for bringing these wonderful Musicians to India, every year. The two days that I went for, were so Fabulous; and I'm sure all those who go for Day 3 tomorrow, are going to love it too.πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•


Apart from absolutely enjoying the music, I also bumped into some old friends from Xavier's and IC as well today, who I generally meet at a lot of concerts, which was great. Only this time, I made sure that I took pictures with them.😊

These two extra-long posts, that I wrote after the shows yesterday and today, are more like a 'Diary Entry' (which I  usually write, to pass the time on my long train-ride, back from the NCPA). They're more for me to remember moments, that I would love to look back on later. Hopefully, some of my music loving friends, will enjoy reading them too.🎢😊


(I also found this interview with Monty Alexander on YT yesterday. So, am sharing it too, for people who haven't heard of him or his music before.)

 "I'm a guy in the Magic Business".✨️

- Monty Alexander.

...and this is one of the songs, that they played that night. Could not record videos at the NCPA. So, this is a video I found on YT, from another one of his concerts at the Lincoln Centre.

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE 🎢

- Monty Alexander 



(Videos shared from various YT pages.)

No comments: