Monday, January 22, 2024

LESSONS FROM A SMALL SQUARE BOX ✍️😢



In one small square box is now all that remains,

After the creepy crawly tiny creatures have had a royal feast.

Two years down the road, to see your 'Best Friend' reduced to just skull and bones,

Just mud and dust and dirt, mortal remains torn down to the very least.


Not the prettiest sight to watch them put the third set in,

Back into that same little box, where all that's left of a 'Family' will now stay.

While you all enjoy eternity in heaven, this day was a lesson for me,

To be humble and grounded forever, for that's exactly what I will be too, one day.



(I wrote the above verses on FB, on the 22nd of January' 2021, after I had an experience, that I will never forget.)


I've never really been one to visit graves often, because I know there's nothing there, but mortal remains...but this, just happened to be the day on which, whatever little was still left of my mum (over two years after she had passed away), was transferred from her grave, and for that, they opened up the family niche. That gave me a glimpse of the 2 previous bundles of remains, of my dad and brother as well...And even though I know, it's not really them but just bones, it was still extremely hard, to see that and to get through the day. The 'not so pleasant memory' of what I saw the undertakers digging out of her grave that day, is something that will stay with me forever.😢

Today coincidentally, (exactly three years later, on that very same day), I was back in that same spot, standing in front of that small square box. This time though, it was for a very untimely funeral of an old friend, who passed away completely unexpectedly, a couple of days ago. Surrounded by lots and lots of very shocked and equally bewildered friends at his funeral, and looking at my friend (his wife) and their little 11 year old daughter, I couldn't help thinking about how history was kind of repeating itself, in the life of another family and another little girl, who was learning the meaning of 'Death' at almost the same age as me.😔


No comments: