Tuesday, November 07, 2023

I DIDN'T ASK, DID I? 🤔✍️

 


There's no 'quick-fix solution' to anything in life
I wish more people could understand that;
Every time you offer someone an 'instant remedy',
Which seems to just flow, right off your bat.

It's probably human nature to problem solve,
And so it comes automatically to a few;
But there are some self-professed 'hermit crabs',
Who prefer to find their own way, in its lieu.

You may think your suggestions will help
Someone that seems lost, or so you think;
But those nesting crablets, always find the ocean
And some weather beaten ships, don't easily sink.

Curious, inquiring minds, with noses that poke a lot,
Are the reason some would rather be alone;
Quiet concern and 'a listening ear', more appreciated
Than intrusive fixers, who're always 'in the zone'.🙊


If you've ever been at the receiving end of 'unsolicited free advice', you'll get this post, a little quicker than the ones, who constantly dish it out.😊 With my 'teacher' hat on, I think this comes naturally to me; and I may probably be guilty, of offering unwanted advice, innumerable times to students, family and friends too. So maybe, this post is for me also.🤷‍♀️

But actually, over the last few years of pondering, while retreating into a relatively 'silent cocoon', away from the maddening crowd; I've realised that I consciously stay away from any and all situations, where I have to communicate with and talk to people (preferring virtual interactions, over real ones, like a 'friendly recluse'), precisely because I do not wish to hear anybody's opinions about my life situations, during 'every' interaction.

May seem like a very extreme and unhealthy 'coping mechanism'; but every time I do take a step out of my sound-proofed comfort zone; the annoying voices of the overbearing, willing helpers, drown out my solitude completely.

So, I think this is some 'Free Advice', to anyone who thinks they are being helpful; 'Don't butt in, till someone asks for your assistance. Let people find their own way'. Everyone eventually does, at their own pace and in their own time.😊


(I first shared this post on FB last year, on 27th October, 2023. Obviously, I was in some strange mood, when I wrote this 'very uncharacteristic' post. Found a picture that matched that crazy mood, online as well.)

No comments: