Monday, September 13, 2010

DIARY OF A TEACHER IN DISTRESS ✍️



Have been wanting to post for a very long time; but couldn't think of what to write about. A couple of my students who are regular readers of this blog, keep coaxing me to post; but I've been buried under so much of work over the past few months, both at school and at home, that the thoughts just weren't putting themselves together. Everytime I thought I'd post, I reached a dead-end. What do I write about? Who do I write about? Nothing seemed interesting enough to put into words.

After a lot of deliberation, I finally decided to put down a few thoughts, on something that's been troubling me incessantly, over the past few months. This is going to sound more like me venting out, a lot of pent up feelings and emotions. Come to think of it, these feelings haven't really been pent up, because I've been voicing my displeasure, at every given opportunity, over the past few months. 

I never thought I'd say this, but the ones who've been the main cause of my anxiety, are actually 'My Students'. I know I've always referred to them as 'My reason to smile'; but sadly this year, I've had a series of experiences, which have been responsible for an almost complete disappearance, of that very characteristic smile, that I've always been known for. 

This may come as a rude shock, to many of my past-students; but I actually think I've been smiling a lot lesser this year, than ever before. Could go into 'Ripley's believe it or not', couldn't it?🤔

Have just been looking back on the last few months and trying to figure out, what has gone wrong this year. I'm into my 7th year as a teacher; and so far, it's always been a pleasure to go to work. The work-load, the pressure, the deadlines, the corrections - they are a real handful no doubt; but they never really bothered me so much, because in the midst of all that work, there were always a few little fellows around, with a ready smile, which made me forget that work was taking a toll on me.

The younger boys always looked up to me with wonder, as I tried to stimulate their minds and take them into imaginary worlds, that they hadn't been to before. 

To the older boys, I was like a big sis and a friend, with whom they could always share their thoughts and feelings. 

With the X Std students especially, I have always shared a very close bond every year. I've tried to be a confidant, a guide, a friend, a mentor, a role-model and so much more. 

All through these years, this arrangement seemed to work magically well. As a teacher, I always had so much to share; and my students were always open, to imbibe much more.

Then June'2010 dawned on us; and all of a sudden, everything that was magical and beautiful about this profession, that I love so much, just seemed to vanish completely. 

My colleagues and me, have encountered what we often refer to, as 'one of the toughest X Std batches ever'. They'd been a difficult set of guys in Class 9 itself; but things kind of spiralled out of control, once they stepped foot into Class 10.

Right from the very beginning, they seem to have had only one agenda. "It's our last year in school. So, let's have fun." If that so called 'good-time' comes at the cost of the teacher's distress, it didn't really matter. It seemed to be completely irrelevant to them. They chose to be totally oblivious to the fact; that we, their teachers, have been so troubled over the past few months, due to the way in which they've been conducting themselves, both in and out of the classroom.

...and that is one of the primary reasons for my distress this year. As hard as I try, I just can't seem to create the same 'Rapport' that I shared with my students, only a year ago. 

These students give me the impression, that no matter what I say, it doesn't really matter to them. My words are completely immaterial. My thoughts have no real significance, in their lives. I have so much that I want to share with them, but they just don't seem to care; not for the effort, not for the trouble taken for their sakes, not for the lost-smile (which would have been a major cause for concern, with any of my ex-students.) Nothing I say or do, seems to be worth their attention or time. I seem to have been reduced to a mere 'fly', buzzing around their heads for a few minutes every day, and they choose to just wave me away with a flick of their wrists.😔

As a result of this complete disregard for anything I say or do; in the past few months, I've gone through feelings of self-doubt, utter frustration, terrible dejection and a host of very negative emotions, which previously never came a-knocking at my door. I've tried every trick in the book to get them to realize, that I have something worthwhile to give them; but they invaribly reduce my hard-work, to a snigger or a guffaw, which can be terribly 'demoralizing'.

For a teacher, nothing can be worse than not being able to 'reach' her students. My hardest struggle this year, has been my inability to build up and create that same rapport, that I shared with students in all the years that have gone by. 

I wouldn't say that I'm disillusioned; but my belief in my ability as a teacher has definitely received a severe jolt this year. I know I haven't compromised on my teaching. I know I always give in more than my best. I know that I never go to class unprepared. Despite all that, I'm bordering on a gradual loss of optimism, which is a completely new world for me.😢

Maybe it's just this one batch, and in a few months, my ordeal will have ended; but in the months that remain, the road ahead seems uphill and the terrain extremely rocky.

I pray for strength to tide through the final few months of this journey. I pray that I may not be disillusioned by all that I have to deal with. I ask that my boys may be blest with wisdom, to know that there's a time and place for everything. I pray for courage to keep going despite the pitfalls. ✍️

14 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, Welcome Back!!! At last your back. It was kind of bad to see the reason I started blogging, not blog at all. So, Welcome Back!!
Well, I have to say that I am not surprised you chose this topic. I think its a good idea to vent out your feelings at something or someone (something is better than someone :P) So its good you wrote about your troublesome students. It is a very big cause of concern that you have been smiling less. You had a record of smiling the most!!! So I can imagine how bad these kids are.
Talking about the role you want to play in every student's life, I would say a student would be blessed to get such a teacher. I would say you have played that role extremely well so far. However, there are always people who undermine your work and just don't give a damn.
I know I am just sixteen, and you know a LOT better than me, but one lesson that life teaches you at some point or the other is that there are times, when you work your *** off (family site right?) but still you don't get the expected AND deserved rewards. And I am saying that from my experience.
Be assured miss, that one such batch cannot undermine the work done by you all over these years. There will always be one batch which will give you a hard time. Just like a bad boss (this is coming from what I have heard) who just doesn't give a damn to the work you put in. Miss, you are too good for self-doubt, believe me. TOO GOOD.
The only advice I can give (if I am eligible to give any , that is) is that you should only concentrate on the impact you have had on students like me and countless others who thank you in their hearts but never tell you that fact(there are many). And slowly you will see the world changing around you. You will see these same students become better (we can only hope).
One thing I like about your posts is that you always put a bit of gratitude in it. Its always good to be thankful for what you already have while asking for more.
So just be optimistic, I guess that will sort everything out. If it still doesn't than say "Aal Izz Well" :P
Keep writing!!!

Anonymous said...

hello miss im shubham agarwal frm the 2009-2010 bathch its awesum to see ur riting so well abt ur lyf........Lyf has always been like a book full of pages ritten many a things in it but sum1 hardly trys to understand its gud to see dat u understand ur lyf better than any of us sooooo keep up the good job teacher ........

Lynette Sequeira said...

Wow Shaish! Who would believe you're just 16, after reading that comment. Thank you so much for that morale boosting comment.I know, optimism is the only way to deal with a situation like this one.The knowledge of the number of lives I have touched in the past in the one thing that helps me stay focussed in the midst of the chaos.Thanks again!

Thanks for taking the time to send such a nice long comment. This feels like role-reversal, where the student is giving to the teacher, what the student should be receiving from the teacher - a push to keep going! Thanks!

Like you yourself have observed, it's always good to be grateful for the smallest things in life, however insignificant they may be.Thank you for encouraging your teacher with your words of motivation. They really mean a lot Shaish.

Lynette Sequeira said...

Hey Shubham! Good to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Every experience in life sure teaches us a lot of lessons. Maybe this experience is also something I can learn something from. Patience probably and self control even when provoked, how not to lose my temper.......so many things I could probably learn from an experience like mine.

Ditz said...

Lyn: its distressing to read this but it will pass. Praying that you have the courage and strength.

Love,
ditoza

Unknown said...

Anytime miss. Just giving back what I got. :D

Trudy said...

Hey Lynette,
Hang in there...that silver lining is gonna look a lot more shinier once this cloud has passed!

Lynette Sequeira said...

Thanks Ditoza and Trudy! Really need an extra dose of patience this year. I pray for that everyday.

Anonymous said...

hey what the hell shaish ..... if you write what i was thinking of writing what the hell am i supposed to write ...... i cant believe that you are smiling less nowadays miss.... its like saying that rakhi sawant is an ordinary woman (:p)... those boys must be demons from hell if thats the case ..... your smile is your signature and no one can live without their signature (otherwise your bank account would be hacked !) .... so whatever you do never stop smiling ...... students and parents will thimnk they came to the wrong schoo; .... no miss lynette smiling at them .....it would be so weird to have a school without miss lynette.....so please remember shaishav's and my comment whenever those boys trouble you so that you remember to smile .......

hoping i did a good salesmans job of selling you this idea .....
-karan

Unknown said...

Hey Karan really sorry I stole your comment. Not on purpose man. I think we think alike,a LOT!!!

Anonymous said...

ya i agree shaish, we do think a lot alike , i go to write something and i find you have already covered the whole angle of the same topic i was thinking about ! anyways, its fun to read somebody else write about stuff which is exactly on my mind !

Lynette Sequeira said...

Hey Karan! Pretty good job of making me feel better.....and thanks so much for that pep talk.....Actually, when I get really frustrated, that's exactly what I do. I think of the batches from years gone by, and that's the only thing that cheers me up.

P.S. Demons from hell would be an understatement. You've got to experience it to believe it.

Anonymous said...

You could look at this in two ways. Number one make the most of people whilst they agree with you and dont let it bother you when they change and push away, it sucks but it's life. Don't lose hope, bad times never last forever! Just remember this is just a stage in their lives. Or you could try and change there attitude. Organise a lesson dedicating to showing them how there's more important things to life. These lessons are just as important as ant class lesson. All the best and hold in their. You sound like a strong and amazing woman, don't let anything get you down. It would be sad for the world to be deprived of your smile and amazing personality!

Lynette Sequeira said...

Thanks for that comment. Who is this?