Thursday, May 22, 2008

VIRTUE AT WHAT PRICE??? 🤔


Patience is a virtue, is what I’ve often heard; and thankfully I’ve been blest with lots of it. Of course, occasionally I do flare up and lose my temper; but I guess, on an average I could be classified as being a pretty patient individual.

I’ve often heard my friends and my students say, “She hardly ever gets angry”, which is mostly true; although there have been moments when I have been known to vent out my frustration and irritation, very vocally and audibly. 

Of course, such instances are few and far between, and therefore don’t register on the radar. That mostly happens at home and only my parents get a taste of my fury, when I occasionally turn on the heat and let out all that pent up anger.

It may be a good thing to be a patient person, but I think all we do when we call ourselves patient, is lie; because I doubt there is anyone on this planet, who is really so patient. I’m sure Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa or even Jesus Christ himself for that matter, would have definitely lost their patience, at some time or the other.🤔

In fact, I think that 'pretending to be patient', is what most of us do. I’m sure there would be many, who have perfected the art of exercising restraint, when they actually want to give someone a thorough verbal lashing. 

While it is definitely considered 'good manners' to do so, I think an over-dose of appropriate conduct, could lead a person’s mental and emotional health, to be adversely affected; and although patience is supposed to be a virtue, I don’t think there’s anything wrong in 'losing it', once in a way. 

If anything, I think it would actually make us better human beings, as we wouldn’t be bottling up so many negative emotions, that we would definitely have as human beings. In the process, we would end up developing into more stable individuals.

So, I guess the next time I call myself a patient person, I think I would first have to go and see who I need to give a very serious dressing down to; and for those who’ve always known me to be a very calm and gentle soul, that would indeed be a true sight to behold.😄

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we ALL seem to lash out at our parents more often than we lash out at our friends.

almost everyone says that they are easy to get along with and hardly ever fly off the handle with their peers, but their parents bring out the worst in them at home.

Nihal Fernandes said...

Hey Lynette,

Just browsed by and saw the blog you have going . loved it.. made a very good read...

Cheers!
Nihal

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for this Girls patience..

Lyn next time u get angry pls record it and send me the video.. :-)

Ra

Mental Floss said...

Interesting - i completely relate to this post. My friends consider me as one of the most patient people they've known but there's times when I'm bursting to let out and yet tend to refrain so much, sometimes it can be stifling.

I dont agree with a bit of the first comment that says 'parents bring out the worst in them' - i think its just that people are more comfortable lashing out at them because at the end of the day, they are family, and even in the worst situations they are the last to abandon you - and we take that for granted. But if people blew steam at their all friends, quite a few of those friendships wud break automatically, and so we are more careful with them.