A LESSON FOR LIFE -
'FROM THE MOUTHS OF LITTLE KIDS COMETH FORTH WISDOM'.
“In the Education of children there is nothing like
alluring the interest and affection;
otherwise you only make so many asses laden with books.”
- Michel De Montaigne, French moralist and essayist.
As an English Teacher, one of our aims is to help our children, develop the art of communicating in the English language, both orally and in writing. In the process of our classroom interactions, there are many instances when my students and I, go way beyond the topic at hand.
'FROM THE MOUTHS OF LITTLE KIDS COMETH FORTH WISDOM'.
“In the Education of children there is nothing like
alluring the interest and affection;
otherwise you only make so many asses laden with books.”
- Michel De Montaigne, French moralist and essayist.
As an English Teacher, one of our aims is to help our children, develop the art of communicating in the English language, both orally and in writing. In the process of our classroom interactions, there are many instances when my students and I, go way beyond the topic at hand.
Children at a younger age have an extremely active imagination, that is still to be tampered with by adult minds. Their thought processes are unadulterated, and their hearts are pure.
Contrary to what most adults believe about little children, I have always been of the opinion, that the young children in today’s world, are extremely aware and conscious about things that happen around them. Their tender minds do think about complex issues, that they watch on their television screens, or that they hear their parents speaking about.
What is required of me as a teacher therefore, is just to help them, to channelize their thoughts and feelings.
Some months ago I conducted a small exercise, for the students of Class 5 at school. For us in Mumbai, the memory of the 7/11 bomb blasts was still very fresh then. Many of the children had someone known to them, who was either injured or killed in those blasts.
Some months ago I conducted a small exercise, for the students of Class 5 at school. For us in Mumbai, the memory of the 7/11 bomb blasts was still very fresh then. Many of the children had someone known to them, who was either injured or killed in those blasts.
So, I first spoke to them about the issue and asked them how they felt, having experienced something as terrible as this, at such a young age. While fear, anxiety, sadness and anger were very common feelings, there were also a few who said that they wondered why such a thing had happened to our city. I realized that so many of them had stories to tell.
Mumbai is such a large city, with a population literally spilling out of it; and yet, almost everyone knew someone else, who had been affected by that tragedy. I discovered that little children in Class 5, had grown up well before their time. This incident had weakened some of them, and toughened others. It had made some of them worry, and some of them think about revenge, at the tender age of 10 and 11.
After giving them a chance to express their feelings about the event verbally, I focussed my attention on 'Mr. Terrorist'. I tried to help the children understand, that the whole Muslim community was not to blame for acts such as these, just because the suspects happened to be Muslims.
Having established that fact, I then asked the children to write 'A Letter to Mr. Terrorist', telling him how they felt about all that had happened, on and after 7/11.
Most of the children, wrote about how they were frightened, when their parents came home late that day. Many of them mentioned feelings of sadness, at the loss of so many innocent lives.
However, some of the answers literally surprised me. It taught me, how little children think so differently, from mature adults.
Here are some extracts, from the letters that had a slightly different tone to them,
Here are some extracts, from the letters that had a slightly different tone to them,
“Everyone says you don’t have a heart, but that cannot be true, since every human being has a heart”
“People say that a terrorist can never change, but I know that you can change”
“I pray to God that he may not punish you, if you can only try to do some good deeds, to make up for what you did.”
These answers came 'straight from the heart', and they touched my heart as well.
These answers came 'straight from the heart', and they touched my heart as well.
We teach our children to be 'Forgiving'. This activity taught me that little children are ready to forgive, even the gravest wrong. Their power of expression, communicated a valuable lesson to me as well. ✍️
4 comments:
Generally if a child reacts to a violent incident with disdain and fear would it not mean that his innocence has been tampered?
I would consider a child more innocent if he your be merely curious about the event and it's consequences and causes.
To a child gore and blood are supposed to be 'facts' and not bad, frightening or any other replusive adjective like that.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Wisdom from the mouth of babes! We have so much to learn from the lil ones.
Keep writing!
Warm regards,
di
Sagar,innocence in children is slowly becoming a thing of the past. I work with kids everyday and I've seen this happening. Today, even children in the primary section are so aware of the world around them and everything that's happening in it. Their innocence is getting lost in the technological advancement and violence happening all around them. Children are no longer just curious about the events happening around them. They KNOW what is happening around them and why it is happening as well. Children are unfortunately growing up at a very fast pace these days. Sad as it may sound,they hardly spend any time being children nowadays.
Awareness and knowledge are not bad things, but being aware of a certain fact does not mean that you give it adjectives, It seems that it is not the technological advancement or the violence, but the way they are brought up that has made them loose their innocence, We must stop enforcing paradigms upon them. The task is extremely difficult as we adults are heavily burdned with experience,
Innocence I believe can be preserved, no matter how much knowledge you gain or how old you are.
Post a Comment